Thursday 5 April 2012

Identifying and Discussing a Substantial Issue created by Digital Culture that has not been discussed previously:

This particular unit has been very interesting, and has led to learning many different things I have either never heard of, and helped my awareness grow for such subjects such as Cyberstalking, the relisation of how much it affected its victims and Web 2.0. However the topic of communication over the internet is one that I would like to research alot more into, I feel that maybe we use technology a little too much these days to communicate.

Everyone will soon have a Facebook or Skype account and these sites are of course key too keeping communication, as a university student, Skype comes in extremely handy for me seeing as I can see my family and friends back at home, and many people will use websites such as Facebook to have conversations rather than meet face-to-face. However isn't this slightly unhealthy?

Call me old fashioned, but I would much rather sit for a coffee with a friend than "poke" them on Facebook. Its hard to go anywhere without seeing someone messaging on there phone, everyone is so reliant on such a small items for communication. This of course will eventually have an affect on our social skills and our manners towards each other, surely not a good thing.


In a past blog, I talked about the Digital Divide, I think it would be very interesting to assess how people who have no idea on technology act differently to us. Take my Nan for instant, she hardly uses technology and her relationship with her boyfriend is one that will always last, with no arguments involved, however the young adults of today seem to be constantly bickering with their partners over the phone. By using technology we can't actually see how the person we are talking to feels and their body language.

http://whatsonyourmind.moadoph.gov.au/topic/technology-and-relationships/index.html <- The following website discusses the issue of technology affecting our relationships.
There seems to be alot of different mixed emotions with the idea of technology and communication, the website has comments from people for technology who say "I reckon that technology has helped relationships as it allows people to communicate over long distance and create social networks. Technology is great and it allows us to communicate a little more sophisticated than message sticks, smoke signals and semaphore" and others who's relationships have actually came to an end because of technology saying "I play WoW and my wife left me beacuse i didn’t pay enough attention to her, i am very alone and depressed now, i think that technology ruined my life". It may sound funny, but if you speak to any young girl, the Xbox is their worst enemy is younger relationships today.

Then their is communication failure between family, I know that in my house hold, is we aren't all in the internet, were all watching television. However, my parents do like to ask my a million questions in between TV, but it is horrible for me to think that some families do actually sit in complete silence for hours on end when the television is blaring.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/243280-how-does-technology-affect-family-communication/ <- I found this website, which states all the worries that we should think about when it comes to technology and families.

http://youtu.be/70i39ALADTU <- This video also talks about the affect communication has on our society.

I do think that this is an important issue to bring, as its only going to become easier and easier to communicate over technology, but we need to start thinking, is that actually a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment